Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Brownies of my Dreams...

For the past couple of months I've been searching for a really fantastic brownie recipe. I don't like box brownies. Put them in front of me and I'll eat potato chips instead- even though I'm a huge chocolate fan. I don't like crisp edges, chewiness, icing, chocolate chunks, or cake-like texture. I love dense, dark chocolatey, not too sweet, European style brownies. After trying many recipes and reading many more, here are the things you need to look for in a good brownie recipe then I'll share mine with you!

-Not too much flour. If the recipe calls for a ratio of more than 1 cup of flour to
5-7 oz. chocolate, then it's going to be cakey. Cakey = not good.
-Lots of chocolate. Calls for melted chocolate, not just cocoa powder.
-Calls for eggs but NOT baking powder or soda. Powder or soda makes them too fluffy and cake-like.
-Calls for butter, not oil.

Now for...

Duh, duh-duh, duuuuuuhhhh!!!

The Brownies of My Dreams:
1 stick of butter
2 T. of strong, brewed coffee
6-7 oz. of bittersweet chocolate
      (this is preference, ok to use semi-sweet or a combination)
2 T. cocoa powder
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 large eggs
3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350, grease a piece of parchment paper to fit an 8x8 or small rectangular baking dish.

Melt butter and chocolate in a small saucepan, add cocoa powder, sugar and vanilla. Continue stirring over low heat until sugar mostly dissolved. Lightly beat 3 eggs in a separate small bowl or cup, stir about a cup of the hot chocolate mixture into the eggs while mixing then add eggs back into the saucepan. Add flour and salt, mix well.

Pour a bit of batter onto the parchment (helps weigh it down while you fold corners like wrapping a package so that you'll end up with a nice square edge). Add the rest of the batter. The good thing about baking with parchment is you can just lift the whole pan of brownies out and onto a cutting board. It would be great for cakes and things too!

Bake 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out with crumbs stuck to it. This is a trick I'd never heard before. If the stick comes out clean, then they are overdone.

Ok,  happy baking, I'll try to post some pictures later!

3 comments:

  1. if these are the brownies that I sampled, I can attest that they are super tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually this is the recipe after the ones I made for you, they were getting closer but not perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes please post pics so I can live vicariously through you. Those sound incredible.

    ReplyDelete