Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Ho, ho, holiday cheer!!

It is Santa's Workshop around here right now! This is the first year I've ever had to travel over the holidays and losing that extra week or two (a whole week without my sewing machine just after Thanksgiving then a bunch of extra days before Christmas) definately shortens Ms. Santa's Christmas prep time.

I dont' know about you but if I wait until the last minute to do my shopping, it is a free-for-all and I spend waaaayy more than I intended to and more than I would have if I had been organized and done one thing per person/couple and shopped sales.

I also really love to make gifts, but I never know how people are going to feel about handmade gifts. Are they honored or do they feel like "geez, another homemade gift?" Do they ever think people only make handmade gifts as a sort of indirect boast? So much to consider!! I personally love them! I guess I have to figure it out on a case by case basis and just do what I can!

Here is a little Christmas treat I've been working on for my nephew. He requested a Santa suit in a size 5, by Thanksgiving. I'm just kidding about the time deadline, but he did, very sweetly through his Mama, request a Santa outfit in a size 5. Luckily, I had a great pajama pattern that I had just picked up at the Hancock's 99 c pattern sale. (I'll do a separate post on that and give you a little pattern review). It has basic, elastic waist pants and a button down top with a collar. I cut out all the pieces except the collar (the shirt had a self-facing in the front and a little separate facing piece for the back of the neck.). I made this out of a soft, knit (it feels just like sweat suit) because I wanted it to be comfortable and warm and durable. The fur is plush felt. Have you guys discovered this stuff?! It feels so good and soft, but it's synthetic felt and it's $4.99 a yard regularly priced! It doesn't fray and it has lots of body, perfect for costumes. I used it on the cuffs and the peter pan collar. The belt is just black felt with a set of d-rings. I chose 7/8" black/brown buttons for the front.

Pretty quick and easy, although I did break two 90 gauge needles sewing through the many layers of knit and felt and I took the collar off like 3 times because I wasn't happy with the way it closed in the front. I'm one of those sewists who just can't let something go--even if it's only a costume!







These pants are so simple, just two pattern pieces. I stitched down the middle of the elastic casing after I ran the elastic through to keep the elastic from flipping over.


I put a little twill tape loop in the back of the pants to help my nephew figure out which is which.




Yay for the holiday season! Christmas is coming!!

Anyone else watched White Christmas yet?

No?!

Oh, yeah, me neither...

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE homemade gifts! ;)

    We can watch White Christmas next weekend!

    ReplyDelete